No Independence Day celebration would be complete without a good old-fashioned barbecue. And what better way to show off your patriotic spirit than by ending that barbecue with some 4th of July cupcakes for dessert.
Fourth of July Cupcakes to Show off Your Patriotic Spirit This Independence Day
1. Patriotic 4th of July Cupcakes
These simple American flag-topped cupcakes are classics that are perfect for beginners who want to give baking a hand. The recipe below should be enough to give you 12 cupcakes for dessert.
- 1 stick of butter or margarine
- 3/4 cups of sugar
- 1/4 tsp. of salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. of baking powder
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of 1% low-fat milk
- 1 tsp. of vanilla extract
- 1 tub of whipped vanilla frosting
- 2 large eggs
- Blue and red paste or gel food colors
- Blue, white, and red coarse or crystal sugar
- 2 disposable plastic decorating bags (#16 star piping tip)
- Heat your oven to about 350°F before lining 12 regular-sized muffin cups.
- Using a mixer set on high speed, mix your sugar, salt, baking powder, and butter in a large bowl for at least a minute.
- Add the eggs and beat the mixture for another two minutes before reducing the speed down to low.
- Add the vanilla extract and milk before beating the flour in until it’s blended.
- Spoon the mixture into your lined cups.
- Bake your cupcakes for about 20-25 minutes before cooling it in a pan on a wire rack. Do this for about five minutes then move them to the rack to cool them completely.
- Decorate your cupcakes by piping frosting on them, sprinkling your red, white, and blue sugar, and inserting a small American flag in the middle.
2. Firecracker Cupcakes
These patriotic 4th of July cupcakes decorated with mini firecrackers are the perfect dessert for your afternoon barbecue.
They’re not just cute and realistic, but also surprisingly easy to make. In fact, it only takes about 15 minutes to prepare 24 servings of these delicious treats.
- A licorice wheel (black)
- 24 pieces of frosted cupcakes
- 24 pieces of large mashmallows
- 12 ounces of melting chocolate-flavored wafers (red)
- Start by unwinding your licorice wheel before separating the strands. Next, cut them into small inch-long pieces.
- Place your melting chocolate wafers inside a bowl. Remember to use a bowl that’s safe for microwaving.
- Microwave them into increments of 30 seconds. In between, stir the mixture to avoid overheating. Continue this process of heating and stirring until they are smooth and melted.
- Now, cover a baking sheet using either parchment or waxed paper. With a toothpick, skewer one marshmallow and dip it into the coating. You can also use a spoon to scoop the coating and pour it onto your marshmallow. Make sure to cover the entire thing before letting any excess drip back to your bowl.
- Place your marshmallow on your baking sheet before gently twisting the toothpick out of it. With the coating still wet, get one of your inch-long licorice pieces and stick it into the hole left by the toothpick at the top of the marshmallow.
- Repeat the process until you’ve dipped all your marshmallows and refrigerate the entire tray to allow the coating to set completely.
- After about 10 minutes, just stick one of your makeshift firecrackers on top of a frosted cupcake before serving.
3. Campfire Cupcakes
View this post on Instagram
Nothing says American more than an old-fashioned camping trip. If you can’t go outdoors this year, you can always get into the spirit with some campfire themed 4th of July cupcakes.
These cupcakes are easy to make, with a total preparation time of about 40 minutes for 24 cupcakes.
- A box of Devil’s food cake mix (along with the ingredients listed in the box)
- 6 cups of powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cup of softened butter
- 2 tsp. of pure vanilla extract
- A pinch of kosher salt
- Pretzel sticks
- 48 pieces of mini marshmallows
- Food coloring (yellow and orange)
- 24 toothpicks
- Preheat your oven to 350°F before using cupcake lines to line two cupcake pans.
- Follow the instructions on your cake batter to prepare it. Once it’s done, divide the battery between the cupcake pans.
- Bake it for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes off, then let the cupcakes cool.
- Next, is a hand mixer to beat the butter in a large bowl. When it becomes fluffy, add some powdered sugar and beat until mixed well.
- Add the heavy cream, salt, and vanilla to the mix and again, beat until it’s all combined.
- Now, divide your buttercream into two bowls. Dye one of the bowls yellow and the other one orange.
- Get a large piping bag with a large star tip fitted onto it. Now, fill it with buttercream and make sure to alternate between your two colors.
- Pipe the swirled buttercream onto every cupcake.
- For your final touch, arrange the pretzel sticks into a standing position. Place them around the buttercream and make it look like the sticks used in a bonfire. Then, use a toothpick to skewer mini cupcakes onto them before sticking them into your cupcake.
4. Red Velvet 4th of July Cupcakes
Everyone loves red velvet cupcakes. With a few blueberries and some cream frosting, this should make for yet another great patriotic cupcake that’s perfect for the holiday.
- A box of red velvet cake mix
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/3 cup of oil
- 1/2 cup of plain yogurt or sour cream
- 3 tsp. of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 1 pint of heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces of cream cheese
- 3 eggs
- Start by preheating your oven to about 350°F and lining your pans using cupcake liners.
- Sift your cake mix into a bowl before adding milk, eggs, sour cream, vanilla extract, and oil into the mixture and stirring until it’s smooth.
- Fill your cupcake liners until they’re about 3/4 full.
- Bake them for about 15-20 minutes then let them cool.
- Now, prepare your whipped cream topping while your cupcakes cool. With the whisk attachment on your mixer, beat the powdered sugar and cream cheese together until they’re smooth.
- Add vanilla into the mix before adding in the heavy cream. Continue beating until peaks form.
- Finally, pipe the whipped cream topping onto the cupcakes and top it off with some blueberries to complete the look. You can also use strawberries or raspberries if you want.
5. 4th of July Cupcakes Cake
Hey, if all else fails, you can never go wrong with the old stars and stripes to show off your patriotism. Why not assemble 24 cupcakes into one big American flag for a quick and simple way to show your love for your country?
- American-themed cupcake liners
- Icing colored with red, white, and blue (You can also make your own icing if you have a personal recipe, but make sure to add the necessary coloring)
- Edible stars
- 24 cupcakes
- Start by using red icing to cover nine cupcakes and white icing to cover another nine cupcakes.
- Use blue icing to cover the remaining six cupcakes before adding stars on top of them.
- Now, finish by arranging the cupcakes into the shape of the American flag and enjoy.
Other than those 4th of July cupcakes, Tastemade shows you some other patriotic desserts perfect for your Independence Day celebration:
Most people shy away from making desserts because they seem complicated. These 4th of July cupcakes aren’t just easy to make, but they’re also the perfect topping to cap off your 4th of July celebration.
Is there other 4th of July cupcakes or dessert recipes you’d like to learn about? Ask us in the comments section below!
- 4th Of July Drink Recipes In Mason Jars To Mix At Home
- 17 DIY Memorial Day Decorations You Can Make And Reuse On July 4th
- How To Paint A Marbled Wine Glass Using Nail Polish
Calling all crafting DIYhards, DIY Projects needs YOU! Click here if you want to contribute for us.