Small spaces shouldn’t hold you back from DIYing your home. These projects are fully functional and occupy only a fraction of your floor space.
Small Spaces | DIY Projects To Try
Back when I was fresh out of university, I lived in a small apartment and learned more about living independently. I loved having my own space. The only downside was how the size of the apartment made the studio feel so cramped. Luckily, I made things work with a few space-saving DIYs.
1. Over The Sink Shelf
An over the sink shelf gives you more storage space to place your dishwashing needs. Did I mention scrap pallet wood boards can be used to make this? What a great upcycling idea, right?!
- Material: Solid stainless steel piping and removable durable plastic shelves, this undersink organizer storage sink rack can be arranged to fit around any undersink pipe configuration adding desirable shelf space.
- Multifunction 2 tiers storage sink racks: Suitable for bathroom standing shelf storage, kitchen cabinet organizer, spice rack organizer, under desk side shelf stand or under sink shelf organizer storage, also can be used as a bookshelf, spicy shelf, shoe shelf.
- Adjustable Shelf: the length of the shelves can be adjusted from 15.35 inches to 25.98 inches; Height: 14.96 inches; Width: 10.23 inches.The height can be adjusted to 10.23 inches but is not recommended.
- A unique Multifunctional small shelf unit racks, easy to clean, easy to use and install. safe and durable, creates usable storage space for your home. For a simpler installation, we recommend to modulate the pipe width you want before assembly.
- But notice, it is not recommended to place large weight devices, for example microwave and oven.And it is better to put heavier things in two sides to make it stable.
2. Magnetic Knife Rack
Avoid unwanted cuts and scrapes by storing your knives on this magnetic rack. By the way, don’t forget to squeeze in some all purpose silicon before sticking the magnet in the rack.
- wooDsom ORIGINAL STRONG hold. The most functional wooden magnetic holder available.
- CUSTOM LENGTH from 8"-36"! No dead zones.
- ALL NATURAL WOOD, finished with food-safe oil. Space saver for the motor-home kitchen.
- WON'T JIGGLE LOOSE. Solid, secure mounting from front face. Hardware and easy-installation instructions included.
- Beautiful design by Woodsom makes a great gift idea.
3. Shelf Above Door
One way to add storage in a small bathroom is by adding a shelf above the door. According to Dave, it’s important to place a support board on the wall. This support block will serve as the piece your shelf can rest on.
- GET RID OF YOUR PANTRY CLUTTER SAVE SPACE- -Expand your kitchen closet can carry jars, boxes, cans. 8 Adjustable shelves and 3 stoppers to prevent tall items from falling
- DIMENSIONS - 77" High X 17.7" Wide X 5.1" Deep
- EASY TO INSTALL - Use over the door hooks or included screws, to have it setup in under 15 minutes
- VERSTILE 2 IN ONE HANGER - Can be used as one long over the door rack or 2 short racks
- 10 YEARS LIMITED MANUFACTURE WARRANTY
4. Under The Bed Shoe Organizer
An under the bed storage compartment is one of the best hacks for small apartment spaces. If you’d like, you can even add wheels to the bottom of the organizer for an easier pullout.
- Breathable Material: made of high-qulaity polyester canvas allows items air flow keeping them fresh
- Cardboard Structure: SIDES & BOTTOM have cardboard to keep the shape of product. It can also keep your shoes in cell when pull out from the under the bed.
- Clear Cover: features a clear cover, help you see clear what you have stored in the bag, pick them out quickly
- Helpful Pull Handle: Handle on front side allows you to easily pull it out, the handle is reinforced and attached to the bin with extra-strength stitching so the bag can handle a heavy load
- Large Storage Cell: each cell measures 6.69W x 10.62D x 5.11H inches, can store most of your shoes; the whole underbed shoe storage measures 33.45 x 21.65 x 5.51 inches
5. Folding Desk
- Table with leaf down is 29.13-inch w by 29.61-inch d by 32.76-inch h
- Combination of solid and composite wood in teak finish
- Assembly required
- The color you see may not exactly match the product color and may depend in part upon the monitor you are using
It’s important to measure the area where you’ll place your DIY folding desk. So sit on a chair and see if the height you’ve marked is good enough before placing any of the wooden boards in.
6. Pegboard Shelves
Pegboard shelves come in handy because they allow you to customize your storage space. Don’t forget to place a coat of wood glue on your pieces before finishing off with a nail gun.
Store your clutter and keep them away from sight with this nifty storage bench. To support your bench’s top shelf, all you have to do is place a piece of wood below the halfway line.
8. Towel Rack
Make a chic towel rack for your bathroom with this tutorial. If you don’t have a grinder to cut the rods, you can use a simple hacksaw instead.
Reuse your old mason jars or glass jars to make a storage shelf. You can use them to hold anything from nuts and bolts to kitchen spices.
- Measures 15L x 5 1/2h x 4 1/2d
- Constructed of 3/4" thick white pine
- Four 8 oz Mason Jars
- Wood display shelf on top
10. Foldable Drying Rack
I love this foldable drying rack because it occupies no floor space whatsoever and can easily be tucked away for a bigger looking room. Make the drying rack sturdier by placing little wood triangles on the corners.
- [Newest Warm Design] 12 Different Size Vacuum Storage Bags with 2 Hand-Pump ! Store away your clothes, pillows and luggage with your lover ,more Improve your housework efficiency! 80% more space than other bags on the market!
- 2 Hand-Pump to Compress every corner of air out of Vacuum Storage Bags .Using 7 layers of coextrusion PA + PE materials, durable materials, good flexibility and the air hole using one-way air guide design never leak the air out with good sealing performance. Solve every customer the worries about the air flow into bags
- Simpli-Home offers high quality space saving storage bags that are made of anti-microbial materials. Helps save you space/time and can simple bere-used both for home and while traveling,NO MOLD, MILDEW, OR BACTERIA! Which is also practically STERILE inside these bags - like you could use them for surgery!
- [Make a more portable and light luggage] When you're travelling and want the most space so you don't have to take a lot of luggage, whats more, while you have to re-pack for the return trip, just use these 2 convenient Travel Pump, and your bags will be air-tight vacuum-packed again!
- [Various size for your choice] Perfect vacuum space saver for your big, bulky items that need to be stored for the season - or if you're traveling and want to be as efficient as possible - these are the bags to get. And you can fit ANYTHING and EVERYTHING in these bags! Even the biggest duvet, blanket, or giant beach towels fit snugly in these bags!
Chalkboard paint is awesome when it comes to labeling the items you have. Recently, I’ve made a chalkboard calendar with my leftover paint. So far, it’s been brilliant at helping me stay on track with all my DIY schedules.
12. Cup Organizers
Organize your makeup with these copper cup organizers. Before you drill holes into the wooden block, be sure to mark the edges of your cups. Doing so will give the cups a tight fit and prevent them from falling.
Make a room look bigger in an instant by placing mirrors on the walls. On a budget? Don’t worry, the mirrors used in this tutorial were bought from the Dollar Store, which makes this an absolute bargain!
Don’t have a spare room for your pantry needs? Make a rolling pantry you can tuck beside your fridge. By the way, if you’ll be painting this DIY project, Dave recommends filling all the holes from the nails and wood with paintable wood filler first.
15. Art Piece Jewelry Box
This art piece jewelry box is so ingenious because it’s a functional art masterpiece. Just be careful when placing any nails or screws to hang your jewelry with. You’ll want to ensure these won’t go all the way through.
— DIY Projects (@DIYProjectsCom) March 27, 2017
16. Toy Wall
Set aside a toy wall for your little one’s toys and books. Attach shelves to the walls and use cubby holes to organize stuffed animals, building blocks, and even dolls.
17. Starry Ceiling
Give yourself a new view to look forward to before you go to sleep. Start by cutting out a stencil and using that as a guide when you paint the stars on the ceiling. Such a great idea for small spaces! Wouldn’t you agree?
18. RAST Storage Bed
This RAST storage bed will give you so much storage space. Dave recommends keeping everything attached using wood screws. He also strongly suggests drilling down the plywood board on top of the base pieces for a sturdier bed frame.
19. Kitchen Organizer
Use your leftover wooden pallets to make an organizer perfect for the kitchen. Don’t forget to attach knobs or hooks at the bottom so you can hang your aprons and kitchen towels on the organizer.
20. Room Divider
A studio apartment would benefit from a room divider such as this one. If you need help removing the paper from the shoji screen, Dave recommends using a drill bit to do the job faster.
21. Hoop Hamper
The trick to making this hoop hamper is to place the fabric in between the 2 pieces of the embroidery hoop. Then, fasten this tightly with some twine. Make a snug fit by pulling the twine as you go along. This is a great idea for small spaces!
22. Storage Ottoman
A storage ottoman is one way to declutter a living room. This tutorial shows you how to customize your ottoman to make it match your home. Just a heads up, you’re going to need your staple gun and a lot of staples for this DIY.
23. Sofa Table
Begin by measuring the back of your sofa to make your sofa table. Remember, you’ll need to measure both the length and the height of your sofa to get the right measurements. If you’d prefer, you can also add a few inches to the height measurement for a raised sofa table.
24. Clothing Rack
DIY a fuss free clothing rack that would look perfect with a minimalist design concept. By the way, I recommend using wooden hangers for this project, as the ends of the hanger won’t stretch out the sleeves of your tops.
25. Suspended Shelf
This stylish suspended shelf looks like it was taken right out of a magazine. Remember to use a ruler when measuring out the holes to drill onto the board, as you’ll want the holes placed on opposite ends.
26. Corner Shelf
Take advantage of a corner by installing a shelf for extra storage. The best part is, this tutorial won’t even require you to do any further woodwork. It simply uses a magazine holder.
27. Storage Desk
I love how this storage desk gives ample storage options without sacrificing floor space. Finish off by coating with a layer of tung oil to protect your new DIY project. A great project for small spaces!
Maximize your small space with these hacks and organization tips. This guide will also help you use your current furniture more efficiently, letting you get more bang for your buck.
Looking for more hacks for small spaces? Check out the video below:
I sure hope you were able to pick out something from this list of DIYs! Remember, don’t let small spaces dull your DIY spirit. There’s always something that can be solved with a project or two.
Want some cool and sneaky ways to hide your valuables? Check out this article!