Find out the easiest way on how to make vanilla extract! Since vanilla extract can be pricey, it is practical to just make your own from scratch. So continue reading for an easy homemade vanilla extract recipe.
How To Make Vanilla Extract | 5 Easy Steps
Vanilla extract has many uses, but it’s mainly for flavoring and home remedy. Most people use vanilla extract as a flavoring for food, beverages, and medicine. But some people also use this to treat fever and intestinal gas. A few have found vanilla extract to be one of the best ingredients for homemade skincare recipes. Here’s a list of what you will need to make vanilla extract–little bottles of these will make excellent gifts for the holidays!
What You’ll Need:
- 1 oz or 30 grams of vanilla beans
- medium-sized jar with lid
- 260 ml of vodka
- measuring cup
- cheesecloth or coffee portafilter/group handle
How To Make Vanilla Extract
Step 1: Cut Vanilla Beans
Raw vanilla beans come in dry and long form. So first off, cut it into little strips, measuring more or less than half an inch. Then, put it all inside the medium-sized jar.
It is up to you whether you want to scrape the seeds out or not because either way will turn out great. However, if you just leave the seeds out, you won’t have too much of a mess.
- Genuine Gourmet Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Beans from Late 2017 Crop
- Length: 16-17cm (Approximately 6-7 inches)
- Fragrance: Strong, Full, Rich Vanilla Aroma
- Color/Texture: Dark Brown, Very Oily
- Vacuum Packed to Ensure Fresh Beans by Vanilla Bean Kings
Step 2: Pour In Vodka
Using a funnel, pour about one cup of vodka into the jar.
Step 3: Shake The Jar
Put the lid on and seal it tightly, then shake it well. Shake it once a day, every day, for at least one month. But for better fermentation, do it for 2-3 months for a nice and strong flavor.
Afterwards, store the jar in a dry and cool place.
- Our 16 oz Ball Mason Jars are ideal as a candy jar, cookie jar, decorative centerpiece or any other creative ideas you may have
- Use with candy, ice cream, savory snacks and other desserts at your candy station
- 12 Jars and 12 Lids
- By Dress My Cupcake, the world's largest dessert table supplies company
- Pair this with other best-selling Dress My Cupcake products, such as cupcake wrappers and liners, stands, tissue pom poms and vintage paper straws
Step 4: Filter The Extract
There are two ways to filter. If you have a coffee machine at home, you can use the coffee portafilter/group handle that comes with it. Otherwise, you can use a cheesecloth.
Open the jar and pour it straight into the measuring cup using a filter. Let it strain through. Do this until all of the vanilla extracts has been filtered out.
- MADE USING A UNIQUE COLD ALCOHOL EXTRACTION PROCESS CREATED TO FDA STANDARDS - Premium, hand-selected Heilala Vanilla pods are used in a unique cold extraction and slow percolation method over 3 months to draw out and preserve the delicate aromatics and produce a sweet, creamy and complex vanilla extract.
- 100% PURE CHEF-GRADE DOUBLE STRENGTH VANILLA EXTRACT - No sugar, chemicals, synthetic or imitation flavors are added to this 100% Pure Vanilla Extract. Gluten Free. Kosher certified. DOUBLE FOLD CONCENTRATION which is twice the concentration of regular vanilla extract. Just half a teaspoon is equivalent to one vanilla bean so you only need to use half as much in your baking and dessert recipes so this bottle will last you twice as long.
- CREAMY, RICH AND INTOXICATING PURE VANILLA - Perfect in all baking such as cakes, puddings, cookies, pumpkin pie or anywhere the flavor of vanilla is desired. Also ideal for desserts such as custards, ice cream, shortbread, crème brulee and whipped cream to showcase the full vanilla flavor.
- EASY, ECONOMICAL & CONVENIENT - Use in any recipe that calls for vanilla essence or extract but use only half the amount. The most ideal vanilla for Chefs or professional bakers who use lots of vanilla.
- HAND PICKED, CURED and DRIED - This pure vanilla extract is made from premium vanilla beans grown in the South Pacific Island of Tonga, one of the purest and natural growing environments in the world, before being processed and packaged in New Zealand.
Step 5: Transfer To A Container
Use a funnel to transfer the filtered vanilla extract to a new and clean container.
Want to see how it’s done? Watch this video from The Simple Cooking Channel and learn how to make a vanilla extract:
With the many uses of vanilla extract, it is more practical to make your own from scratch at home. Learning how to make vanilla extract is simple and easy with these five steps, so you’ll never look for store-bought again!
Do you have other tips on how to make vanilla extract? Share it with us in the comments section below!
Up Next: How to Make Vanilla Frosting