Care for more mason jar cookie recipes? Help yourself to this delightful M&M cookies in a jar idea you can enjoy yourself or give away these holidays!
In this article:
- Delightful Mason Jar Cookies Recipes for Christmas
- What You Need for This M&M Cookie Mix in a Jar Recipe
Mason Jar Cookie Recipes: M&M Cookies in a Jar
Delightful Mason Jar Cookies Recipes for Christmas
Ever wondered how to make mason jar cookies? I have seen these pint mason jar cookie recipes in stores lately, and they are really cute, especially when they are finished off with colorful fabric and ribbon, with a handmade tag.
I could not bring myself to buy any of these, though, as I knew they had to be super simple to make. Sure enough, to make mason jar cookie recipes like this, you just need your basic cookie ingredients, a mason jar, and a little bit of time.
By taking a few extra minutes to divide and layer your cookie ingredients, rather than mixing them, and then putting all in a pretty jar, you have an adorable, quick, and delicious edible gifts idea. This M&M cookie in a jar recipe will definitely be a standout, so let’s get started!
What You Need for This M&M Cookie Mix in a Jar Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups M&M’s
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 qt wide mouth mason jar
- 6″ diameter cut fabric pieces
- Ribbons (to make a bow)
- A pair of scissors
- Ice cream scoop (This will help you pack each layer down to ensure all the ingredients fit in the jar!)
Step 1. Prepare Materials Needed
Wash and dry your mason jar before you start, this is a must.
Pour in the flour, baking soda, and salt first. To make sure that the rest of the ingredients fit, you’ll need to pack this layer down using your ice cream scoop.
(Don’t worry, once you get the brown sugar in, the packing will get easier!)
Step 2. Add Ingredients in Layers
- Pour in the brown sugar, white sugar, and then the M&M’s.
Now add the brown sugar, white sugar, and M&M’s in that order. After each sugar layer, you’ll want to use your ice cream scoop to pack it down a little more.
Once all the ingredients are in the jar, cut your fabric and ribbon to your desired size and length. We cut the fabric into a 6″ diameter circle.
The M&M’s add the color to this mix, so make sure your fabric doesn’t completely cover them up!
Step 3. Packaging
You can place the fabric either underneath the screw top or on top of it. Play around with it to find the look you like best.
Finally, make a label with the following baking instructions:
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- Grab your jar, pour the entire contents into a large bowl, and mix well.
- Work in 3/4 cup of softened butter until the mixture crumbles. Use your hands to do this.
- In a separate bowl, beat 1 teaspoon vanilla extract with 1 egg. Then add it into the flour mixture.
- Place heaping tablespoons of the mix onto a non-stick cookie sheet (about 2″ apart).
- Bake for 10-14 minutes.
These fabric jar toppers are perfect for your mason jar cookie recipes. Learn how to in this video tutorial from Needlepointers:
This gift idea never gets old! You can make a whole lot of different flavors.
I like to buy bulk mason jars and mix up a different cookie flavor every time I make them. Friends and family are always excited to get the latest batch.
I will add crushed peppermints during the holidays, pink sugar and sprinkles for Valentine’s Day, and different creative colors and ingredient combos for just about any occasion. How about you?
How do you find these mason jar cookie recipes? Will you give this M&M cookie in a jar a try? Let us know in your comments below!
- Best Christmas Sugar Cookie Recipe | How To Make Christmas Cookies
- 23 DIY Crafts With Mini Mason Jars
- DIY Halloween Makeup | 25 Cool Looks For Scares Or For Laughs
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published on November 14, 2013, and updated for quality and relevancy.