Give your home a vintage and rustic feel with these chalk paint ideas! I’ve got a ton of DIY projects to help you reinvent your furniture pieces.
Chalk Paint Ideas: A Vintage Charm For The Home
Redecorate a home with some chalk paint ideas! It’s one of the ways to do a home makeover without buying any new pieces. All you have to do to start is to think out of the box when it comes to your furniture. Once you’ve got a color and concept in mind, grab a paintbrush and some chalk paint, and get to work.
1. Candle Holders
Coat your candle holders with a layer of chalk paint for a matte finish. Once the paint has dried, give the pieces a more distressed look by rubbing them with sandpaper.
Give your home a French country look by coating a basket with gray chalk paint. Simply brush the chalk paint on the inside of the basket. Then, once it has dried, resume painting on the outside.
Tip: For added depth, you can choose to layer different chalk paint colors.
Add a touch of vintage charm to your bedroom with these chalk painted drawers.
Tip: Before you begin painting, disassemble or remove the drawers from the base frame first. Not only will you have an easier paint job, but your paint will also dry faster this way.
Making these chalk painted vases is easy. Simply turn your jar upside down and paint a coat of chalk paint. Once dry, lightly sand the edges for a more vintage look.
Tip: If your jars have a pattern on, it’s best to paint in the direction of the pattern.
5. Dining Table
The base of the table and the chair frames were coated with chalk paint for this tutorial. By the way, don’t forget to coat on a clear soft wax once the paint has dried. Doing so will help the paint last longer.
- The Paladin dining table is the ultimate farmhouse-meets-modern option for a relaxed, lived in vibe
- Exemplifies traditional style and comes in rustic charcoal gray, bringing both personality and function to your home
- The Paladin dining table features Self-Storing Butterfly Extension Leaf and Farmhouse Trestle Base
- Makes everyday life a little bit easier with features like durable finish and floor protectors
- Built with comfort and durability in mind, the Paladin dining table includes a wood frame and foam cushion construction
6. Jewelry Box
I love how each little box of these jewelry holders uses old accessories as knobs. It’s such an ingenious way of reusing old earrings that have lost its pair.
Tip: If you’re upcycling a wooden box to turn into a jewelry case, use white vinegar and water to clean the wood.
7. Highchair Makeover
Make a batch of homemade chalk paint by mixing 2 cups of flat paint, a tablespoon of water, and 3 tablespoons of plaster of Paris. Once you’ve got the paint fully mixed, dip a paintbrush in and begin painting your highchair.
8. Artful Apothecary Re-Do
Makeover an apothecary cabinet by adding chalk paint. Don’t forget to line the surfaces near the drawer faces with tape. This will prevent any unwanted paint marks on the sides.
9. Painted Couch
This chalk paint recipe makes use of 1 cup of latex paint, 1/4 cup of calcium carbonate, and 1/8 cup of water. Mix all of these together and give your couch a coating to make for an-almost-new and improved sofa.
10. Vintage Dresser
Update a vintage dresser with a coat of chalk paint. Don’t worry too much about getting chalk paint on the hardware of your dresser. You can simply paint over them after the paint has dried.
- IMPECCABLE CONSTRUCTION: The Industrial Raw Metal Dresser Measures 18"W x 32"H x 54"L and Weighs 206 LBS. Assembly is Not Required Upon Delivery of Dresser
- VINTAGE VITALITY: Each Antique Dresser is Manufactured From Durable Metal With a Sleek, Raw Metal Finish. This Serves as a Significant Contribution to the Vintage Style of the Dresser
- DETAILED CRAFTSMANSHIP: This Vintage Dresser is Crafted With 6 Drawers. It Effectively Provides an Additional Rustic Appeal to Any Traditional Setting
- TRENDY ANTIQUITY: Each Dresser is Stunning in its Vintage Antiquity. It is a Trendy and Fashionable Piece Destined to be a Well Appreciated Point of Focus
- PURCHASE WITH CONFIDENCE: CDI Furniture is a leading furnishing supplier in the design industry. Their intriguing designs and commitment to quality manufacturing has allowed them to truly endure
11. Chalkboard Coffee Table
This project will let you leave little messages on your chalkboard coffee table. The best part is, you won’t even need to paint the entire coffee table. The top surface alone will do.
12. Gray-Washed Dresser
Want to give a gray-wash finish to your chalk painted dresser? Simply add a bit of water to the chalk paint, then, apply a layer on your dresser. Once the paint is on the furniture, grab a cloth, and wipe away some of the paint for a gray-washed effect.
Tip: Use a lint-free cloth.
13. DIY First Aid Storage Box
This DIY first aid storage box makes use of an old wine box, and is an excellent idea for upcycling.
Tip: Remind yourself of your prescriptions by writing the dosage needed on the front surface of the wooden door.
14. Folding Chair Command Center
Dave and I love dual purpose furniture, so this project has a special place in our hearts. What we did was we painted a layer of chalk paint on the bottom surface of a foldable chair. That way, we can write little messages — such as a welcome note or a reminder — without having to put a whole board in.
- Seat Height: Counter Height - 23-28 in.
- Set Size: Set of 4
- Frame Material: Wood
- Assembly: Assembled
15. File Cabinet
Need a place to put additional reminders in your home office? Paint your filing cabinet with some chalk paint and you’ll never forget another item on your to-do list again.
— DIY Projects (@DIYProjectsCom) March 31, 2017
Give an old bookshelf a makeover with a coating of chalk paint.
Tip: Create a sense of depth by painting the insides of your bookshelf in a darker color. Switch it up by painting the legs in a different color as well.
17. Bed Frame
Check if your bed frame has a laminate surface before giving it a coating of chalk paint. If it is, you’ll want to give it a light sanding or a coat of shellac first.
Make an old chair look more shabby chic with some chalk paint. You can also amp up the comfort level by throwing on a pillow or a blanket.
19. Mirror Frame
Isn’t this pop of color on a mirror frame just fantastic? A sea foam green color would look perfect in the living room of a beach house.
- Wood frame with hand distressed white finish
- Wood plank look
- Two-way easel for vertical or horizontal display
- Wall Hangers for easy wall display
- Displays a 4x6 photo
Lighten up a dark colored piano with a few coats of chalk paint. Don’t forget to place tape on the pedals and the keys to avoid any unwanted paint splatters.
Tweak an Ikea nightstand and make it your own with this little DIY. If you’re attaching an o’verlay like this tutorial, make sure to use spray glue and not wood glue, as the latter is too runny and messy.
Learn more techniques for your chalk paint ideas when you watch the video below. It’ll teach you 5 must know brush strokes for chalk painting.
I hope this roundup gave you lots of chalk paint ideas to choose from when it comes to giving your home a vintage charm. The truth is, you really don’t have to spend a lot to switch up your home furniture. Sometimes all you need is a fresh coat of chalk paint.
Which chalk paint ideas are you dying to try out? Let us know in the comments below!
Have some paint leftover? These ideas will ensure the paint won’t go to waste.
Feature image via Era Home Design