You know what's the perfect way to spend a cool night? For me, it would be around a camp fire, surrounded by friends and family, a cool beer in hand, and barbeque on the other. This scenario is best completed with a fire pit that's exactly what you want, not too flashy nor extravagant, but rather simple and efficient. This DIY stone fire pit is just what you need.
Enjoy Your Cool Nights Outdoors With A DIY Stone Fire Pit
Unlike other types of fire pits that involve concrete or other bulky and pricey materials, this DIY stone fire pit is nowhere near those kinds. This one is just made of bricks glued together and piled up. This fire pit is so easy to make, you can even customize its size or height and other factors according to your liking. Here's what you need and the steps you need to take to get that amazing fire pit.
Here are the supplies you need:
- Bricks (36 pcs 4″ x 11.2″ Ashland Flagstone bricks)
- Paver Sand (2 bags, 0.5 cu. ft.)
- Lava Rock (2 bags, 0.5 cu. ft.)
- Concrete Adhesive and Caulk Gun (2 tubes)
Make sure you have these tools:
- Spade Shovel
1. Remove sod on the fire pit area.
Remove the sod right under where you want your fire pit to be. To do this, set your first ring of bricks in the area and trace where it lies.
Move the bricks aside and remove sod using a shovel. Just remove until 2 inches deep so you can base a layer of sand.
2. Put paver sand.
Now that your ground is level, place the bags of paver sand on the dug-out area for the fire pit. This will create a solid base for the pit.
Pat down the sand to make it nice and compact.
Using a level, check out if the sand is even.
3. Start laying the first layer of bricks.
Place the first layer of bricks around the fire pit area.
Put a concrete adhesive atop the first layer, right before you put the second layer to make sure it won't budge.
- Ideal outdoor centerpiece for warmth and enjoyment
- Durable cast stone base adds a sophisticated touch to any outdoor décor
- Large 29 in. (73.8 cm) fire bowl accommodates hardwood logs up to 21.5 in. (54.6 cm) long
- Mosquito-safe tip: add sage, Lemon balm, or Citronella leaves to your fire pit to help repel mosquitos
- No wood burning fire pits should be used on a wood deck
4. Build the fire pit up.
Now place your second layer of bricks.
Repeat the process of putting an adhesive on top of the second layer before setting the third layer of bricks. In this project, the top row was offset to make it different from the first two rows and allowing the heat to easily come off at the bottom. You can customize your own DIY stone fire pit too.
5. Put rocks on the bed.
Place your bags of lava rock (or any rock of your choice) on the bed of the fire pit to ensure its solid base. Now you have a solid and cool DIY stone fire pit for your outdoors!
- EASY IGNITION: One-step spark-ignition button with a flame control adjustment knob allows you to enjoy up to 30,000 BTUs of ambient heat
- NATURAL AMBIENCE: This fire pit pairs decorative stonework siding with a stainless-steel burner and insulating lava rocks to form an attractive, functional addition to any outdoor living space
- ALL-WEATHER COVER: Enjoy this pit for years to come thanks to an all-weather cover to prevent wear from the sun and rain
- PROPANE POWERED: Experience hours of fully adjustable heat with a 20-lb. propane tank (not included) that sits outside of the fire pit and can easily be covered by a small table
- NO ASSEMBLY REQUIRED: Get on the fast track to warm, outdoor lounging with a fire pit that's ready to use right out of the box!; OVERALL DIMENSIONS: 27.6"(Dia) x 9.5"(H)
Now you have a fire pit that can keep you warm and your marshmallows sweetly melted. This DIY project can be done by a beginner, and will only involve a few tools and supplies easy to find. It's totally worthy to have one in your outdoors now.
Click here for a different version of a DIY fire pit you can also easily create.
Like this? You'll also like…
Featured Image from Old World Garden Farms
- Heat resistant iron fire bowl
- Log grill
- Poker/hook tool
- Weight: 85 lbs
- Overall dimensions: 28.5"(W) x 28"(D) x 22.5"(H) (screen included)