Need a delicious and fun Father’s Day gift idea for that hard-to-buy-for dad? Make a rustic popcorn sample set for under $50!
RELATED: 25 Cool DIY Father’s Day Gift Ideas
DIY Father’s Day Gift Under $50 | Rustic Popcorn Sampler
Unique Gifts for Dad
Thinking about quick DIY Father’s Day gifts? This tutorial will have you making gifts for dad in no time.
Make sure to check out all of our Father’s Day craft gift ideas! You’ll never worry about what to make dad again!
We promise you’ll love this one.
- Variety popcorn from Amazon.com (Amish Country Popcorn)
- Glass, sealable jars from your local craft store (I found mine at Michael’s for a few dollars each). I’d recommend one medium jar for the regular yellow popcorn, and two smaller ones for the specialty colored popcorn.
- 3. 5 round tins from your local craft store (Michael’s had a huge stack of these for only .99 each – what a deal!)
- A basket from your local craft store (or your local thrift store if you’re working on a tight budget) to nestle everything in when you’re done putting it together.
- Printable tin labels (there are several free pre-designed templates available online!)
- One sheet of cardstock or one sheet of glossy photo paper or (my personal favorite) one sheet of Avery Brown Kraft Shipping Label Paper from Amazon.com
- Lastly, the most important elements! You’ll need all of the spices for these five popcorn spice recipes:
- 3 tsp salt
- Dried dill 3 Tbsp
- 3 Tbsp dried lemon peel (ground)
- 1.5 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp table salt
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- Powdered sugar ½ cup
- 4 tsp cinnamon (powder)
- ½ tsp allspice (ground)
- 2 ¼ tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp dry buttermilk
- 1 ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 ½ tsp powder mustard
- ¾ tsp garlic powder
- ¾ tsp white pepper powder
Kickin’ Chili Popcorn Seasoning
- 5 tsp salt
- 2 ½ tsp garlic powder
- 5 tsp ground cumin
- 5 tsp paprika
- 10 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup finely grated parmesan cheese powder
- 4 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
Step 1: Fill Jars with Popcorn
Fill the largest glass jar with the regular, yellow popcorn, and the smaller two jars with the black and rainbow popcorn, respectively. Set those aside for later — they’re done!
Step 2: Cut Out Labels from Printable Page
Download any of the printable templates that accompanies this tutorial and cut out to rectangular labels.
In the photos, I used a single sheet of brown kraft Avery shipping label paper that I had on hand. I love this paper, because it is adhesive on the back, and the brown kraft color has a great, vintage style.
You can order a pack of 50 pages from the Amazon.com link listed in the “supplies” section of this post. A regular piece of cardstock or glossy photo paper will work just fine.
Step 3: Attach Label to Lid of Tin
Attach each label to the lid of the tin. If you used the Avery adhesive paper, simply peel and stick each label on.
If you used cardstock or other standard paper, I’d recommend using a glue stick or rubber cement to prevent puckering or wrinkling.
Step 4: Combine the Spices
One at a time, make up each spice recipe by simply combining all of the spices in the recipe into a bowl or jar. I like to use a sealable jar so that I can cap it and shake the spices to mix them.
Step 5 (Optional): Seal the Tin Edges
If you are shipping the popcorn sampler, you’ll want to use a piece of scotch tape around the edges of the tins to keep the spices from spilling out.
Step 6: Use Tissue Paper to Pack the Jars
Step 7: Rustic Popcorn Sampler is Ready
You’re done! Your scrumptious Rustic Popcorn Sampler is ready to give to dad with hugs and kisses on Father’s Day.
Check out more Father’s Day gift ideas in this video by HGTV Handmade:
Your dad will surely love this unique popcorn surprise. In less than 50 bucks, you have a delicious set of popcorn and spices.
Now, dad will have something to look forward to when watching his favorite sports channel!
What can you say about this rustic popcorn sampler DIY? Share your thoughts with us in the comments section below!
- DIY Fathers Day Gift Ideas To Make Your Dad Feel Loved
- 4 Awesome Gift Wrapping Ideas | Gift Wrapping Tutorials
- 30 Easy And Fun Summer Crafts | DIY Projects