Need more sewing tricks up your sleeves? Help yourself to more sewing hacks and ideas, and make sewing even more fun and easier.
In this article:
- How to Pre-Wash Fabric and Lessen the Fray
- How to Easily Sew Binding and Piping
- How to Sew Buttons by Hand | Hand Sewing Techniques
- How to Never Lose Your Drawstring
- How to Alter Jeans: Shorter with Identical Hem
- How to Store Bobbins | Sewing Life Hacks
- How to Secure a Shank Button
- How to Hem Curved Edges | Sewing Hacks
- How to Avoid the Buttonhole from Ripping Too Far
- How to Make an Easy Allowance Guide
- Serger Thread Sewing Hacks
- How to Gather Fabric Easily | Sewing Hacks
- Double-Needle Thread Sewing Hacks
- How to Prepare Your Fabric for Hand Embroidery
- How to Make a Bias Tape Template
- How to Stitch Perfect Lines for Quilts
- How to Keep Your Scissors Sharp
- How to Lengthen or Shorten a Pattern
- How to Make Invisible Zippers
- How to Turn a Crisp Point on Any Collar
- How to Sew a Circle | Sewing Tricks
- How to Finish Seams Without a Serger
- How to Take Care of Thread Tails
- How to Sew with No Knots or Tails
- How to Not Have Stubborn Straight Pins
Useful Sewing Hacks You Need to Know
1. How to Pre-Wash Fabric and Lessen the Fray
Lessen the frays on your fabric by pre-washing it before sewing. To get less fray you can put it in a pillowcase and tie a knot at the top. Wash on gentle and dry on low for less mess!
2. How to Easily Sew Binding and Piping
Using straight pins when sewing bindings and piping can be very time-consuming.
You have to put it first then remove it one by one while sewing. Save time by using mini clothespins instead!
3. How to Sew Buttons by Hand | Hand Sewing Techniques
4. How to Never Lose Your Drawstring
We’ve all had this hitch before and it can drive you really crazy since it’s such a bummer putting it back. The worst experience I had was when it somehow went “missing” after washing.
Never have this problem again whether it’s your jacket, pants, shirts, bags, and any item with drawstrings. With this trick, all you need are a few stitches and you’ll say goodbye to the hitch, indeed!
5. How to Alter Jeans: Shorter with Identical Hem
6. How to Store Bobbins | Sewing Life Hacks
Bobbins tend to get tangled together if you just throw them together in a container. These persnickety sewing tools will roll, tumble, tangle, and unravel, too.
Never have those problems again by using your trusted toe separator. Simply slip your bobbins in between and secure them in place.
7. How to Secure a Shank Button
8. How to Hem Curved Edges | Sewing Hacks
9. How to Avoid the Buttonhole from Ripping Too Far
— DIY Projects (@DIY Projects) April 11, 2015
10. How to Make an Easy Allowance Guide
11. Serger Thread Sewing Hacks
This is a better hack for small light projects or mockups – not ideal for projects which will see a lot of use.
12. How to Gather Fabric Easily | Sewing Hacks
13. Double-Needle Thread Sewing Hacks
14. How to Prepare Your Fabric for Hand Embroidery
15. How to Make a Bias Tape Template
16. How to Stitch Perfect Lines for Quilts
17. How to Keep Your Scissors Sharp
18. How to Lengthen or Shorten a Pattern
Never have to worry about patterns not fitting your size when you can easily alter the pattern. Here’s one of the smart sewing pattern hacks you will need to know.
Learn how to shorten or lengthen a pattern here, to fit your size or anyone you are sewing for.
19. How to Make Invisible Zippers
20. How to Turn a Crisp Point on Any Collar
21. How to Sew a Circle | Sewing Tricks
22. How to Finish Seams Without a Serger
Can you imagine finishing seams without a serger? I couldn’t either before knowing these sewing hacks.
Here are not one but six ways you can finish seams without using a serger.
23. How to Take Care of Thread Tails
24. How to Sew with No Knots or Tails
25. How to Not Have Stubborn Straight Pins
In addition to these sewing hacks, I found having a complete portable sewing kit to be super helpful in all my sewing projects.
This video from 5-Minute Crafts will show you 30 sewing hacks to save your clothes:
Now you know there’s a better way to alter your jeans than cutting it altogether. Sewing is both a practical and relaxing craft and with these helpful sewing hacks, a sewing beginner can turn pro pretty soon!
Did you enjoy our list of sewing hacks? Let us know in the comments section below what your thoughts are on these sewing hacks and ideas.
- DIY Projects’ Ingeniously Easy DIY Projects To Entertain Kids
- 15 DIY Sewing Room Organization Ideas From Sewing Mavens
- Learn To Fix Your Broken Zipper Like A Pro | DIY Ideas
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published on April 12, 2016, and has been updated for quality and relevancy.