Looking for kite making instructions? This tutorial is easy enough for kids, but fun enough for adults too! Let’s go and make some paper kites, shall we?
In this article:
- 15 DIY Kite Making Tutorials for Kids
DIY Kite Making Instructions
15 DIY Kite Making Tutorials for Kids
DIY kite making is super easy and a practical craft that you and your kids can enjoy constructing. Simple kites can be constructed from basic supplies on hand like paper, paper bag, trash bags, drinking straws, etc.
- QUALITY DOWELS FOR YOUR INTRICATE WOOD PROJECT – At 1/8 inch in diameter, these hardwood dowels are thin enough to capture detail, and still sturdy. Made from clean Baltic birch wood, they are straight and uniformly sized.
- CUT YOUR OWN LENGTHS FROM THIS 3 FOOT ROD – Does your project require many different lengths? Get this 36” dowel rod and easily cut the sizes you want.
- GET CREATIVE, AND GET CRAFTING – DIY is double the fun! Use these wooden sticks for crafting kites, centerpieces, scale models, and more. The smooth dowels take paint well and are safe wood craft sticks for kids too!
- CHOOSE YOUR WOOD WITH ECO-RESPONSIBILITY – Woodpeckers dowels are sustainably sourced. We give back to the environment by supporting the Arbor Day Foundation – planting trees for the future of our planet.
- FIND JUST THE LENGTH AND WIDTH YOU NEED – Looking a wood stick in a specific length or diameter? Check out our Woodpeckers storefront for a huge assortment of dowels in different sizes.
So here we have collected 15 DIY kite making tutorials so you can learn how to make a kite for your kids and let them help. Which one is your favorite?
1. DIY Paper Kite
2. DIY Diamond Kite
3. Quilt Kite
4. DIY Box Kite
5. Tissue Paper Kite
6. Fun Shapes Kite
7. Plastic Bag Kite
Be kind to your surroundings and make use of trash bags not needed anymore. Upcycle a trash bag into an awesome kite; frugal fun for all ages.
8. Lunch Sack Kite
9. Patterned Paper Kite
Enjoy creating your own cute and colorful homemade paper kites with just a few supplies you already have on hand. Patterned paper kites are the most fun project to work on with the kids, especially on perfect weather.
10. Patchwork Kite
If you’ve already got yourself a store-bought kite, go ahead and give it a fun DIY makeover. A patchwork body to recreate your kite into a DIY kite craft!
11. Curved Paper Kite
12. Plastic Tablecloth Kite
13. Tetrahedral Kite
This kite looks really difficult and time-consuming, but once you see the tutorial you’ll see constructing tetrahedral kites is fairly easy to understand and carry out. It is quite unique and not common at all, which makes it all the more special!
14. Windsock Kite
15. Store Flyer Kite
This is another quick and simple kite project made out of a grocery store flyer. Or you can simply use both an old newspaper and a plastic bag for this store flyer kite, and you’ll be flying through the air in no time.
Need one more kite making project for the kids? See how you can make a newspaper kite from April Bryan:
DIY kite making is so easy and fun to create especially with friends and loved ones. Not to mention doing it with the little kids and having them find out they can make their own kites with your supervision.
With this list of DIY kite projects, you won’t run out of ideas to choose from.
Which kite making project are you going to try with the kids? Let us know below in the comments section!
- 37 Insanely Easy DIY Projects For Beginners
- 57 Easy Crafts To Make And Sell
- 60 Gifts In A Jar That Are Oh So Cute And Easy To DIY
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published on May 11, 2016, and has been updated for quality and relevancy.