Looking for kite making instructions? This tutorial is easy enough for kids, but fun enough for adults too! Let’s go and make some paper kites, shall we?
RELATED: Amazingly Easy DIY Projects For Crafters
In this article:
- 15 DIY Kite Making Tutorials for Kids
DIY Kite Making Instructions
15 DIY Kite Making Tutorials for Kids
DIY kite making is super easy and a practical craft that you and your kids can enjoy constructing. Simple kites can be constructed from basic supplies on hand like paper, paper bag, trash bags, drinking straws, etc.
- QUALITY DOWELS FOR YOUR INTRICATE WOOD PROJECT - At 1/8 inch in diameter, these hardwood dowels are thin enough to capture detail, and still sturdy. Made from clean Baltic birch wood, they are straight and uniformly sized.
- CUT YOUR OWN LENGTHS FROM THIS 3 FOOT ROD - Does your project require many different lengths? Get this 36" dowel rod and easily cut the sizes you want.
- GET CREATIVE, AND GET CRAFTING - DIY is double the fun! Use these wooden sticks for crafting kites, centerpieces, scale models, and more. The smooth dowels take paint well and are safe wood crafts sticks for little hands too!
- CHOOSE YOUR WOOD WITH ECO-RESPONSIBILITY - Woodpeckers dowels are sustainably sourced. We give back to the environment by supporting the Arbor Day Foundation - planting trees for the future of our planet.
- FIND JUST THE LENGTH AND WIDTH YOU NEED - Looking a wood stick in a specific length or diameter? Check out our Woodpeckers storefront for a huge assortment of dowels in different sizes.
So here we have collected 15 DIY kite making tutorials so you can learn how to make a kite for your kids and let them help. Which one is your favorite?
1. DIY Paper Kite
A very simple and easy to make kite with materials available at home. Kids would surely enjoy running around the yard with these cute kites.
2. DIY Diamond Kite
Like nearly every handmade kite, this diamond kite is very reliable and easy to handle in flight. I used to make diamond kites with my brothers every summer; one of my fond childhood memories.
3. Quilt Kite
Upgrade the design of your kite with this quilt-looking creation. If you know your way around making quilts then this won’t be as difficult as it sounds.
4. DIY Box Kite
This is an easy-to-make and easy-to-fly kite. The size and shape may not be to your convenience but the DIY box kite is a perfect afternoon project so easy to make with the kids.
5. Tissue Paper Kite
One of the cutest DIY kite making craft you can create from an assortment of colors. Not only will it stand out among the clouds, but it will definitely soar high!
6. Fun Shapes Kite
This is a great afternoon activity where you and your kids can enjoy constructing. Kids can decide what shape their kite will take.
7. Plastic Bag Kite
Be kind to your surroundings and make use of trash bags not needed anymore. Upcycle a trash bag into an awesome kite; frugal fun for all ages.
RELATED: DIY Projects’s Ingeniously Easy DIY Projects To Entertain Kids
8. Lunch Sack Kite
This a very simple kite to make and can be constructed from supplies you probably already have on hand like your lunch sacks. It’s a no-sweat DIY kite making with just a few materials needed.
9. Patterned Paper Kite
Enjoy creating your own cute and colorful homemade paper kites with just a few supplies you already have on hand. Patterned paper kites are the most fun project to work on with the kids, especially on perfect weather.
10. Patchwork Kite
If you’ve already got yourself a store-bought kite, go ahead and give it a fun DIY makeover. A patchwork body to recreate your kite into a DIY kite craft!
11. Curved Paper Kite
The curved paper kite will accumulate more wind above the clouds and will continue to soar up high! Bring back fun memories with this cheap and easy-to-make curved paper kite.
12. Plastic Tablecloth Kite
This is another frugal kite-making project that you can try creating. The plastice tablecloth kite made out of the disposable kind does come with different colors to make it more fun!
13. Tetrahedral Kite
This kite looks really difficult and time-consuming, but once you see the tutorial you’ll see constructing tetrahedral kites is fairly easy to understand and carry out. It is quite unique and not common at all, which makes it all the more special!
14. Windsock Kite
Kids will love running around seeing these kites floating in the air behind them. These really are such fun windsock kites to make and play with.
15. Store Flyer Kite
This is another quick and simple kite project made out of a grocery store flyer. Or you can simply use both an old newspaper and a plastic bag for this store flyer kite, and you’ll be flying through the air in no time.
Need one more kite making project for the kids? See how you can make a newspaper kite from April Bryan:
DIY kite making is so easy and fun to create especially with friends and loved ones. Not to mention doing it with the little kids and having them find out they can make their own kites with your supervision.
With this list of DIY kite projects, you won’t run out of ideas to choose from.
Which kite making project are you going to try with the kids? Let us know below in the comments section!
- 37 Insanely Easy DIY Projects For Beginners
- 57 Easy Crafts To Make And Sell
- 60 Gifts In A Jar That Are Oh So Cute And Easy To DIY
Stay connected with us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published on May 11, 2016, and has been updated for quality and relevancy.