Cabinets aren’t the only type of storage device you can build to deposit all your mechanic tools and household items. Tools just can’t lie around. But with new household equipment pouring in from fix after fix, it’s becoming more and more difficult to find a room to simply stock everything. Make the best use out of your space with these do-it-yourself garage storage ideas and maximize what you can do with the entire area–without having to spend so much as a few bucks!
11 Awesome Garage Storage Ideas To Keep Your Tools Organized
Back when I was still starting out on woodworking and other DIY projects, my tools had no place to go. They were just lying on the table, or on the ground, and sometimes, in the weirdest places, like the kitchen drawer. It took me quite a while to sort out and find ways to store my tools inside the garage. Believe me when I say that these storage ideas that I am about to show you really work and they can do wonders for your storage needs. Here are several garage storage ideas that you can use!
1. Overhead Storage
Suspended shelving might just be for you if you’re planning to make use of every square foot of your garage. Normally used for tools not commonly used, shelves positioned overhead may accommodate those looking for better space.
- AVOID WATER DAMAGE BY STORING YOUR ITEMS OFF THE GARAGE FLOOR. Protect your items and use garage ceiling space to store seasonal and unused items. 22'' to 40'' ceiling dropdown provides up to 105 cu. Ft. of storage. Dimensions: 96 in. L x 48 in. W x 22-40 in. H. （Accessory hook and items pictured on the racks are not included.）
- SAFE - BUY Overhead Racks with LONG ceiling brackets designed to be attached to 2 studs. Combined with SIX vertical posts, it is the optimal structure choice to ensure safety.
- QUALITY - Top quality screw selected and All hardwares have gone through strict tests. Heavy duty cold-rolled steel construction provides safely loading up to 600lbs.
- DIFFERENT - INTEGRATED GRID DESIGN - More stable and sturdy compared to others with separate frame and wire.
- DIY installation with STEP-BY-STEP instruction. Installation template helps make plan (Youtube video helps installation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00LhPp0Z9vM). ***Make sure to use accessories provided by Fleximounts (included in the product box), even if you choose with Amazon Installation Service. ***
2. Mounted Wall Rails
Overhead storage may keep your bigger, less commonly-used tools stocked, but tools that are smaller need a more accessible and organized type of storage space. For a cost-effective and easy way of storing your commonly-used small tools, you may opt for mounted wall rails.
3. Hanging Jars
For a more creative and cost-efficient storage of small materials such as nails, bits, and screws, use simple household materials to create hanging jars. Not only are they easy to make, they are easy to utilize as well, allowing easy access to the smallest tools of your DIY arsenal.
- TOOL AND ACCESSORY ORGANIZATION: Cleans up your garage or workshop, perfect for hand tools and small parts like screws, nuts, and bolts
- 3 BIN SIZES: 44-piece storage unit fits everything, including 4 large bins, 12 medium bins, 12 small bins, and 14 tool storage accessories
- CUSTOMIZABLE SETUP: Equipped with 2 back panels, allowing you to organize bins and accessories to best suit your needs
- HIGH-QUALITY MATERIAL: Durable organization system is made of impact-resistant plastic to last you for years to come
- OVERALL DIMENSIONS: 38"(L) x 7.25"(W) x 21.25"(H); Weight Capacity: 110 lbs.
4. Tire Racks
If you have spare tires that litter around your garage, making tire racks will perhaps be the most beneficial way to go for you, saving space that you can use for more cabinets and shelves.
- Dimensions: 14" D x 36" W x 56" H
- 7-Tiers with 16 bins and 4 casters (2 locking), shelves adjust at 1 inch increments
- Certified by the NSF to NSF/ANSI Standard 2 - Food Equipment for use in dry environments
- 16 slide-out polypropylene bins with locking feature. Includes 16 bin labels and 4 Bin Dividers
- Total weight capacity of unit on casters (evenly distributed): 500 lbs.
Shelves, shelves, good ole shelves. They never grow out of fashion for their obvious usability and ease-of-use. If you’re not too worried about space on the ground, a shelf is always an option.
6. Coat Hooks
Coat hooks aren’t just for coats. Spare bags or dirty rags can be neatly arranged on coat hooks too. Coat hooks can give your garage not just a more usable space, but a nifty aesthetic feel as well.
- 21 inches to fit most 4 Panel Garage Doors
- Each package includes 1 set of Cobra Racks with clamping hardware on standard garage door panels. Insulated panels require self tapping screws (not included).
- Made in the USA with durable, high strength ABS material
- All Hardware Included for Easy Installation No tools required for Standard Installation. Insulated Doors will need to be hard mounted with self tapping screws (not included, but can be shipped at no cost)
- Can be installed on walls or ceilings
The best (and most enjoyable) idea among these garage storage ideas would be to repurpose old, unused things at home to build your own garage storage device. Old plaster boards and unused hooks are great materials to use when making shelves, cabinets, or even vertical storage.
8. Jumbo Tape Dispenser
Remember those tape dispensers that you had lying around on your desk? Well, you can create your own tape dispenser for your garage! Think of it as an awesome way to keep track of where your tapes are and how much of them are left. You can check out how this was made right here.
- Easy installation on finished or unfinished walls with the included hardware. Comes in two 4 foot sectionsSpecialty mounting hardware is available from the manufacturer for mounting on concrete walls.
- Uses standard 1/8 or 1/4 inch peg hooks (not included with this offer), we recommend using 1/4” peghooks for heavy garden tools. Strongly recommend NOT using the light duty peghooks.
- Mount specialty brackets, such as bike racks or shelf brackets, by bolting them in place with a self tapping screw. This feature is unique to “holeyrail” patented peg board panels.
- 10 Patented “Pegstrappers” that keep the peg hook locked in place are included. Our patented peg locks overcome “lift out” and outperform any other peglocks on the market. Works with 1/8” or 1/4” peg hooks.
- Dollar for dollar, the Holeyrail garage organization system out performs, is stronger, holds more, and is the most cost effective storage system on the market. Backed by a lifetime guarantee.
9. Suspending sliding Storage System
Think of them as overhead drawers, if you will. A sliding storage system, like this one, can keep a lot of tools organized without taking up too much space. Let’s face it, we’ve all had to deal with cluttered boxes of stored tools, right? This suspending storage system is a must-have for every DIY enthusiast. Just make sure that the containers are durable and sturdy.
10. The Screwdriver Coat Rack
DIY enthusiasts know what it’s like to lose a couple of screwdrivers, especially when you need them for certain projects. I can no longer count how many screwdrivers have come and gone inside my workshop. Either the magical screwdriver fairy took them away or I have a bad habit of forgetting Where I placed them. This screwdriver coat rack is going to help you keep your screwdrivers together while saving tons of shelf and drawer space.
- Easy, One-Person Installation, Pictorial Quickstart Installation Guide Included
- Universal Wall-Mounted Design, Does Not Compromise Your Ceiling
- Adds value to Your Home with Interior Storage
- Economical, Strong, and Attractive
- 100% Made in the USA
11. Truss Shelves
This is an amazing way to store tools because it not only serves its purpose, but it also adds a dash of minimalism to your garage. The slanting design of truss shelves allows you to store your items without the shelves looking like a complete eyesore. Think of it as a pyramid. You can sort out your most commonly used tools by placing them on the bottom shelf and the least used tools on the top.
- COMMERCIAL GRADE: 350lb capacity per shelf when using adjustable feet. Ideal storage solution for all your heavy-duty commercial storage needs.
- EXTRA LARGE STORAGE CAPACITY: 60" Wide x 24" Deep x 76" High (with 4" wheels)
- NSF CERTIFIED: NSF/ANSI Standard 2 - Food Equipment for use in dry environments. Zinc Plated for optimal rust protection
- EASY ASSEMBLY: Shelves slide on top of clips that keep it in place, allowing you to adjust the shelf height. For your safety, SafeRacks recommends making sure the shelves are flipped the right way to completely fit over and cover the plastic clips
- MOBILE: Hi-Capacity Wheels (4-inch diameter) allow for easy positioning in the kitchen, garage, or office
Check out this awesome video from Lowe’s Home Improvement as they show us these amazing garage storage ideas:
To help you out with organizing your tools, I suggest you list down everything beforehand. This will help you decide on which of these garage storage ideas would be best for them. Did we miss out on any garage storage ideas? Tell us in the comment section below.