It can be hard to stay “kissable” during winter. Winter weather brings cold weather and with cold weather comes dry skin and (sigh) chapped lips.
Lips don’t contain oil glands, which means that they’re even more susceptible to drying out and cracking than other parts of the skin. Lack of moisture in the air during the colder months only exacerbates the problem (sigh).
To help heal your lips and get you back to your old kissable self, we’ve compiled a list of 5 nourishing DIY beauty recipes — scrubs, salves and balms — specially formulated to breathe life back into cold-battered lips.
DIY Beauty Recipes to Heal Chapped Lips
1. Scrumptious Black Coffee Scrub
- ½ tsp maple syrup (or honey, if you aren’t vegan)
- ½ tsp finely ground brown sugar
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp finely ground coffee
- Dash of cinnamon or pumpkin spice (optional)
- 1-2 drops of peppermint essential oil (optional)
- Mix all ingredients together in a clean bowl, making a thick paste. Add spices or essential oil, if desired. Scoop mixture into clean container.
- To use, scoop a bit of the mixture onto a fingertip and then gently scrub the top and bottom lips to remove dry, chapped skin.
Recipe courtesy of Clara Williams, founder/owner of skinnyskinny.
2. Ultra-Hydrating Lip Salve
- 1 tsp of coconut oil
- 1 tbsp of honey
- Massage on and around lips, and leave mixture on for 5 minutes before wiping off.
The coconut oil will restore the lipid layer on the skin while the honey acts as a moisturizing and antibacterial agent.
Recipe courtesy of Joanna Vargas.
3. Yummy Matcha Lip Scrub
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp Matcha powder
- Mix ingredients together and apply to lips. Rub in circular motions for 10-15 seconds and wash off.
- Follow with a lip balm.
Recipe courtesy of Joanna Vargas.
4. Natural Lip Scrub
View this post on Instagram
💁♀️TUTORIAL JADI CANTIK TANPA MEJIK 💁♀️ . . . . Ello gengssss sesuai judul! masi edisi bareface necurel, suka banget Lip scrub dan lip balm dari @liplapin kalau kalian liat aku sering pakai ini kan di beberapa video tutorial aku? nah makeupnya cocok buat anak kuliah, anak sekolah sma, anak mana aja deh pokoknya yg penting bukan jadi anak kurang ajar. Anywayyy Lip balm @liplapin aku suka banget karena gak hanya bikin bibir lembab bisa juga dipakai sebagai blush on dan kadang2 suka aku jadiin eyeshadow ❤️💋 . . . Lipbalm dan lipscrub @liplapin ini terbuat dari bahan natural lho jadi kalo pakai ini cantiknya alami dan natural dari alam dan bikin cantik bawaan dari lahir gitu deh 💁♀️ . . . Anyway kalo pacar ngomel kog makeupnya ketebelan disuru natural2 aja, omelin balik makanya beliin dong produk yang natural di @liplapin jangan kerjanya komplain doang oke 💁♀️🤷🏻♀️😆
- 1 part honey (or other liquid sweetener. Vegetable glycerine is great for those with candida, if you are concerned about eating some of it.
- 1 part granulated sweetener (See notes.)
- 1 part olive oil (other great oils would be jojoba, almond, or even coconut oil)
1. Mix all ingredients together.
2. Apply a small amount to lips.
3. Rub gently into lips for a few seconds or up to two minutes.
4. If time allows, let the mixture remain on lips for a minute or two.
5. Wipe off gently with a warm, damp cloth (or you can just lick it all off!)
6. Store the excess in a closed container.
7. Enjoy your smooth, soft, healthier lips :-)!
Recipe courtesy of WholeNewMom.com.
5. Homemade Healing Lip Balm Recipe
- 1 cup of olive or almond oil
- 1 teaspoon echinacea root (optional)
- 1 teaspoon comfrey leaf
- 1 teaspoon plantain leaf (herb-not banana!)
- 1 teaspoon calendula flowers
- 1 teaspoon yarrow flowers
- 1 teaspoon rosemary leaf
- 1/4 cup beeswax pastilles
- grapefruit seed extract or vitamin E oil
- peppermint essential oil
- 5-10 drops of peppermint essential oil (optional)
- Infuse the herbs into the olive oil. There are two ways to do this. You can either combine the herbs and the olive oil in a jar with an airtight lid and leave 3-4 weeks, shaking daily OR heat the herbs and olive oil over low/low heat in a double boiler for 3 hours (low heat!) until the oil is very green. You can also omit this step completely, or just a drop of each of the essential oils instead.
- Strain the herbs out of the oil by pouring through a cheesecloth. Let all the oil drip out and then squeeze the herbs to get the remaining oil out.
- Discard the herbs.
- Heat 1/4 cup of the infused oil in a double boiler with the beeswax until melted and mixed. (save the extra oil for use on wounds/cuts or for another batch of lip salve).
- Pour into small tins, glass jars or lip chap tubes and use on dry or chapped lips.
Recipe courtesy of the WellnessMama.com.
Feeling kissable yet?