A DIY lampshade may seem like a small fixture, but don't overlook its design. It can make a huge difference in the feel and look of your room.
Elevate the aesthetic value of your space with these 11 lampshade ideas.
Brighten up Your Room With These 11 DIY Lampshade Designs
Start wrapping the bottom of your old lampshade with a rope until you cover everything up. Be sure to minimize the gaps as much as possible.
To give it a clean look, don't forget to cut the extra strands. You can also use different colors and create an alternating pattern to make it stand out.
Crocheting isn't only to make winter warmers. You can also grab your hook and use this art to enhance your home decorations.
Take your crochet skill to the next level by creating this DIY lampshade. It doesn't only make your lampshade unique; it also serves as a protective cover.
Use various shades of yarn to make the final look eye-catching. Ensure that the colors work well with each other, and they match your existing ornaments.
- JMark's 63-Piece Beginner Crochet Kit for Adults is the ultimate crochet set for both newbies and experts. This comprehensive crochet kit for beginners comes with 24 vibrant 100% Acrylic Yarn Balls and 9 Crochet Hooks. Additional items like 6 Weaving Needles, 10 Stitch Markers, and a Tape Measurer round out this crochet kit beginner package. It also includes 3 Storage Bags and a helpful eBook to guide your crochet journey, making it the perfect crochet kits for beginners.
- Premium Acrylic Craft Yarn Kit in 24 Different Colors – Our crochet kits for beginners and experts offers a wide range of bright colors without any duplicates; Each yarn for crochet contains 55 yards per skein for a total of 1320 yards of acrylic yarn for crocheting; Our crochet kit for beginners adults with yarn set is suitable for beginners, experts, children and adults
- Reusable Storage Bags & Ergonomic Crochet Hooks Set – Our crotchet kit with yarn pack includes a storage case for each item set, perfect on the go or for gifts; JMark unique crochet hook case features an ergonomic design to slide easily and prevent hand fatigue or cramping allowing hours of use of the knitting kit for beginners; Our crochet set for beginners with yarn for crafts is therefore suitable for arthritic hands
- Ideal Gift & Machine Washable – Our crochet for beginners kit is the perfect gift for Christmas, Birthdays, Holidays, Valentine’s Day and works for mothers, children, daughters, grandmothers, nieces, beginners, experts, girls, boys and more; Each convenient crochet starter kit beginner for adults and kids is also machine washable and tumble dry low without bleach or ironing
- Versatile Knitting Kits with Accessories Set – Our knitting starter kit for adults and kids is ideal for arts and crafts projects, crochet patterns, granny squares, amigurumi, pom poms, DIY crafts, accent works, yarn crochet flowers and much more; We ensure that our crochet beginners kit with knitting yarn will meet your expectations and offer returns no questions asked; Contact us if you have any issues with our yarn sets for knitting
3. Embroidered Lampshade
If your old lampshade is asking for a makeover, then do interesting stitches to revive its beauty. Showcase your exquisite needlework techniques, and add a handcrafted charm to your bulb.
Add a personal touch and apply your sense of texture and color to this work of art. Embroider birds and flowers to achieve a tropical look—stitch animals and plants for a child-friendly vibe.
Sew quirky patterns on any plain fabric. To make the process easier, you can print out templates to serve as your pattern.
4. Sweater Lampshade
Upcycle your old sweater, and make it as a cover of your existing lampshade. Choose clothes that aren't ripped or soiled to give your craft a neat look.
You can opt for a pullover with a fun design. For instance, a piece with balls or buttons can add to the texture of your DIY lampshade.
Pull your sweater over your lampshade and cut the excess parts such as the sleeves. You can keep these extra fabrics and use them in your next DIY project.
5. Space Lampshade
Put the solar system in your DIY lampshade, and feel like you're in outer space. You can either look for a cloth with a galaxy print or design your own star system.
Spray paint metallic colors on your lampshade, and engrave parts of constellation such as stars. You can also make stencils so you'll have an outline.
Alternatively, you can use markers in galaxy colors. Dip a cotton ball in alcohol, then smudge the lines to create a galaxy effect.
6. Ombre Lampshade
Your hair isn't the only thing that you can dye. You can also apply crazy colors to your fabric lampshade. Additionally, you can make an ombre effect on your DIY lampshade using hair dyes as well.
Another option would be to use paint colors. Keep in mind to create an even transition among different shades.
Make sure to wet your brush with water to mix the colors. It would be hard to blend the tones once the paint is dry.
7. Origami Lampshade
Paper and card stock are versatile when it comes to crafting. One thing that you can make out of it is origami.
If you prefer simplicity, this DIY lampshade is a perfect addition to your room. It may not look effortless at first, but draw grids and make the exact folds, and you'll pull this thing off.
Use any color that you prefer. Just be sure that the paper's thickness is ideal enough to keep its shape.
8. Spooky Lampshade
You don't need to wait for Halloween to decorate your room with mysterious embellishments. If you're a fan of spine-chilling designs, then this DIY lampshade is the best choice for you.
Add googly eyes and bats to make your lampshade look scary. You can also paint it in Halloween colors like orange and black.
Cover your lampshade with any black lace cloth or gothic textile. You can also opt for skulls and ghosts as the design of your fabric.
9. DIY Geometric Lampshade
Create polygonal patterns out of different materials, and make a statement with this cool and modern DIY lampshade.
You can use the resources around you in making this lampshade. Get foam board or cardboard to form different structures. You can also use random paint chips from your local hardware store.
If you create simple shapes, you can use wooden sticks to make cubes or squares. You can also be creative and use pipes or metal tubing to create various shapes with numerous sides.
10. DIY Map Lampshade
To achieve a vintage look for your room, use an atlas to decorate your DIY lampshade. This can also bring up exciting memories of your vacations around the world.
You can use old maps of your favorite places so that you can reminisce about your past travels. Alternatively, you can put maps of your dream destinations to inspire you to take on that journey.
Instead of putting it outside, you can paste it inside your lampshade to make your fixture more interesting.
11. DIY Photo Lampshade
Add pictures to your DIY lampshade to make it look more personal. Aside from hanging your best shots on the wall, you can also print and paste them on your lampshade.
Mix and match different photos, or make a collage of your favorite scenes. You can also come up with a theme that'll match the mood of your room.
For example, you can decorate your lampshade with sweet photos for the master's bedroom. On the other hand, you can put baby photos on the lampshade of your kids.
Customize your room and give it a cozier vibe. Craft your own DIY lampshade decoration, and let it reflect your personality and style.
What other designs do you have in mind that you'd like to use for your DIY lampshade? Share your thoughts with us in the comments section below!
- How to Make a Cigar Box Lamp | DIY Lamp Tutorial
- Awesome Wood Lamp To Warm Up your Room | DIY Lighting Projects
- Make Your Own Fire Starter At Home | 11 DIY Fire Starter Ideas
Calling all crafting DIYhards, DIY Projects needs YOU! Click here if you want to write for us.