I’m getting married here in a couple months and have been searching, searching, searching for DIY wedding gift ideas for our parental units. However, I have not had much luck. As it turns out, not everyone gets their parents a wedding gift, much less a DIY wedding logo design gift! Hence, I have come up with this personalized wedding gift, fit for anyone in your family or wedding party needing some love:
DIY Wedding Gift Idea: Hand Painted Gold Mugs
- These supplies can be found at your local craft store and around the house!
- Coffee/tea mug
- Permanent Marker
- Expo Marker
- Masking Tape or Painter’s Tape
- Gold Spray paint
- Clear Sealer (we used Rust-Olium)
- Optional: Aluminum Foil
- You can make this a personalized wedding gift by making each mug unique!
Mask your mug into the unique design you want using your masking or painter’s tape. You can either mask across the top of the mug to seal the inside, or use aluminum foil as seen in a few steps.
Continue masking around the mug until your design is complete! Make sure you cover up the outside of the mug everywhere you do not want spray paint!
- [cm_ad_changer campaign_id="1"]
- Your parents and wedding party with love these unique wedding gifts!
Like mentioned in step 2, we used aluminum foil to cover the inside of the mugs. This ensures no spray paint finds its way inside!
Take your mugs outside and place on an elevated surface to be spray painted. Once you have spray painted your design, turn over and spray paint again.
- This DIY personalized mug can be used for any special occasion!
Turning the mug over ensures you do not miss any spots you want covered, as seen on the mug’s handle above.
Once the paint is dry, you may begin carefully peeling off the tape.
You may notice some spots that accidentally have spray paint as you are taking off the tape, but don’t fret! We’ll show you how to remove unwanted paint in the next step.
Using an Expo marker, go over all of the unwanted paint spots and wipe clean with a paper towel.
Voila! Continue to use your Expo marker until all the unwanted spots are gone.
- A DIY Wedding can save so much money to put toward other expenses!
Aren’t they beautiful? We could have stopped here, but we decided to take this project to the next level…
- Add a personal touch to these handmade mugs!
Using a gold permanent marker that matched the gold spray paint, we decorated the mugs.
We personalized these wedding gifts with sayings like, ‘Mother of the Bride’ and ‘Thank you for raising the man of my dreams!”
Once you have finished retouching the gold paint and writing your messages, take the mugs outside once more and spray them down with Clear Sealer Spray. Be sure to turn them upside down as to not spray the inside of the mug. Repeat two times.
- Your family and wedding party will love these wedding crafts you made with love!
There you have it! Everyone will love these hand painted gold mugs, and all your friends will want you to make their DIY wedding gifts!
Looking for more wedding ideas? You’ll love these DIY Wedding Favors!
Don’t want to make it? We recommend shopping tons of affordable unique gifts on ETSY!
Pin now, do later:
- Check out our handmade gold mug, perfect for DIY wedding gifts!