Mens fashion can be a hassle. Whether it's choosing the perfect fit, getting out tough stains, or knowing exactly how to finish an ensemble, mens fashion takes a lot into consideration. Dressing well can really be a time-suck, but with these 45 mens fashion hacks you can look sharp with less time.
1. Turn any tie into a trendy skinny tie
No need to make a trip to the dreaded mall. If you have a tie in a fabric you love but a shape you don't, try this tutorial and transform your necktie into a more modern shape.
2. Dye dirty canvas shoes
If they don't have holes in them, they're fair play. Give your favorite sneakers a breath of fresh air by dying them.
3. Tie your tie with incredible speed
Practice makes perfect. For more detailed instructions check out our tutorial on How To Tie A Tie with a Windsor knot.
4. Match your jacket and pants the right way
You don't always have to go monochrome with your suits. Use this guide to mix and match.
5. Achieve the perfect shave
You put your best face forward when you take the time to shave properly.
6. Know how to tuck your shirt properly
Yes, there is a right and a wrong way. Performing a military tuck will ensure there are no extra lines or bulges where they need not be.
7. Sharpen an old razor blade with denim
For the closest shave possible. Plus a sharp blade means a longer life for your razor. A longer razor life is more money saved.
8. Always know your suit fits correctly
Make sure your best outfit is truly the best it can be by getting it tailored specifically for you.
9. And never make these suit mistakes
A suit is an investment piece. Make your investments wisely.
10. Always have these 5 pairs of shoes on hand (or foot, rather)
When it comes to shoes it's all about quality and versatility. If you really love a pair past its prime, find a good cobbler and have them re-soled.
11. Give an old sweater new life by shaving off pilling
Pilling happens to the best of us, but it doesn't have to stick around. To prevent further pilling wash item as directed in tag and don't put it in the dryer.
12. Make all your t-shirts vintage soft
Love a design but hate the fabric? Get the best of both worlds by using this trick to making cotton tees heavenly soft.
13. Use this chart to cut down on laundry time and extend the life of your clothes
If you don't have to wash it, why would you? As long as it doesn't smell and is free of stains and wrinkles, you don't necessarily have to throw it in the wash.
14. Turn old pants into stylish shorts
This works especially well when you love a pair of pants but the cuffs have become a ragged mess.
15. Choose the best sunglasses for your face
Not all frames were created equal. This guide also works for eyeglasses and readers.
16. Stop shedding, promote hair growth, and get rid of dandruff by rinsing hair with tea
Only use black tea if you have dark hair. It will actually deposit color back into your locks.
17. Prevent collar curl
Because having your collar “popped” is passe. It's better to wear clothes the way the designer intended.
18. Lace your shoes exactly how you want to
Ever see a guy's kicks and wonder how he got the laces that way? This is how.
19. Know how to iron a shirt like a professional
If you can't get your shirts pressed professionally, at least be able to do the job yourself comparably.
20. Put cologne on properly
You never want to be the guy who clears the room with his overpowering scent. Ideally, no one should be able to smell your cologne unless they're in your personal bubble.
21. Know exactly where to cut off your beard line
If you can grow a beard, grow it right. No neck beard. No chin strap.
22. Effectively remove scuffs from shoes
Shoes are made to be worn, but they don't have to look that way.
23. Add extra holes to your belts
Whether you're getting bigger or smaller, there's no need to invest in a new leather belt if your inches fluctuates.
24. Give your closet a thorough cleansing
It will save you an immense amount of time getting dressed if you can just see the items you want to wear. Everything else is just a distraction and has got to go.
25. Send a message with color
For some reason the majority of men I know really struggle with color. Most have no idea that the shade you choose can actually affect how people perceive you.
26. Add a contrast pocket to any plain tee
Make a boring crew neck look designer with just a few steps. TIP: striped tees look really cool with a solid pocket.
27. Know your toes.
If you're only going to have five pairs of shoes in your closet, make sure you are choosing classic, flattering toe styles.
28. Always know how to match your tie to your shirt
It's easier to be adventurous with these kind of style choices when you have a little bit of guidance.
29. Know how to get any stain out of your clothes.
Stains are not sexy. I repeat: stains are NOT sexy.