Everyone's gotten some strange items while trick-or-treating, right?
As a kid, I remember being gravely disappointed after looking in my pillow case (i.e., impromptu candy sack) one Halloween, only to discover that the last house on my route had given me a quarter taped to a piece of paper. Sure, I could buy a piece of fun-sized candy with the quarter, but where's the fun in that? And every year, there's the health-conscious folks that give out apples, tangerines and other definitely healthy, non-candy items…
But have you ever gotten something so out of ordinary, so bizarre, that you're still puzzled by the motive of the hander-outer?
The folks at Buzzfeed asked their community members that exact question, and the answers might surprise even our most imaginative readers.
Click here to see 27 bizarro tricks people got while seeking treats, or scroll down to see some of our faves from the list.
1. “Potato salad in a plastic bag.”
2. “One year I got an actual cat. His name’s Levi and I still have him 17 years later.”
3. “A baby turtle and a can of orange soda.”
4. “I got a small plank of wood. Literally. A plank.”
5. “A deflated balloon that said ‘Over The Hill.’”
6. “A packet of McDonald’s croutons.”
7. “Live goldfish — not even in plastic bags. They just panicked and dumped fish into our bags.”
8. “A package of hot dogs.”
—Katy Lynn Patterson, Facebook
If you love this, you'll also love…
Have you ever received something really strange while trick-or-treating? Tell us in the comments section and keep the laughs (and head scratching) going!